Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Prezi



This Prezi gives a bit of insight of why I chose Special Education and what I intend on doing with my career. Since I will be finished with school in the summer, I am hoping to get a job at a residential facility, working with troubled youth.
          My intended audience for this Prezi is for the people in my class, and for a group of people that I would present this to, like future students and parents. I only include a brief overview of each thing because I would have a voice over, or I would be explaining each slide. I learned about Special Education because of Professor Frick, and my experience I have had with my work and with my volunteerism. In high school, I took a class called Career Mentorship, where I took personality tests and decided what I might possibly want to do with my future. My teacher recommended The Buckeye Ranch, and from my first day of being there, I immediately called my mom and told her it felt like home, I finally found a place where I knew I wanted to work (this made her cry!) To this day, I go to the ranch as often as I can, and help out with small groups and the multi-handicapped ride groups. My real life experiences all come from working with kids and volunteering. However, one thing I did not add was my love for animals. I love animal assisted therapy, especially for the drug addicts and the abused kids. It is a very rewarding job and I love watching the connections made between animals and kids. You really learn how to connect with yourself and the kids when using animals and helping them read body language of themselves, animals and peers.
         The images are, from left to right, the first thank you letter I received from my first field experience, a coworker and I finishing up our community service book drive for Nationwide Children's Hospital, Danny, a pony at the Ranch, and his new hairstyle given to him by some of the girls that live there, a young child who is paralyzed and participating in Animal Therapy, and lastly, the bell all resident's who have a successful discharge get to ring when leaving the ranch. They ring it three times. The first ring represents the past, the second right represents the present, and the last ring represents the future. The websites I chose are both just great references to keep on hand when teaching. Lastly, the Youtube video is a great "day in the life of a special education teacher" video. I am not sure it could be any more on point with our busy days!
        I have used Prezi before in other classes, so I am very familiar with the program. The only thing I don't like, and still don't like, is how not "user friendly"  clicking to type in their text boxes are. Also, some previous slide patterns I have chosen with Prezi, did not have enough slides and I had to add my own, which made things out of order. Adding a voice over is pretty simple, but can be very time consuming. I love Prezi and plan on introducing it to my fourth graders this coming week in Ohio History and transportation!

No comments:

Post a Comment